Providing resources for people with a passion for Christ and the web
Welcome!

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

How can we reckognize harmful backlinkers, and what can be done about it?
Just popping in
From Quebec, Canada
Group:
Confirmands
Hello,

Twelve out of Twenty-Two Domains that have one or more links towards my Web site are from Web Sites I have myself visited. The remaining are from sites that I knew nothing about, and that just happen to find me. Some point to my pdf files and make them available to their users. When I realized this was happening, I made sure I identified every page of every pdf document on my site through my domain name on the footer.

Until a few days ago, I visited every site that pointed to mine to make sure I was comfortable with what they did. But when I tried to access the latest Web site that was linking to mine, I received warning signals from my antivirus software. I then used Scam Adviser. It reported that the site itself was not malicious, but that the a certain number of its users had been contaminated with unwanted programs.

Should I look into blocking access to certain sites that are backlinking to mine? What other course of action should be taken?

Posted on: 2014/12/16 12:06

Re: How can we recognize harmful backlinkers, and what can be done about it?
Webmaster
Group:
System Administrator
Site Maintainers
Confirmands
Hi, Daniel - look through these forums, there was a thread about backlinks, but it was about generating more backlinks, rather that evaluating the backlinks you already have, and potentially blocking some.

I don't worry much about the scammy spammers and their links - the search engines are a lot more sophisticated now and the negative impact isn't as great. That's not to say that some will not try to launch a negative SEO campaign against your site, but just as Google and Bing/Yahoo! evaluate the links from your site to determine its relevance, the same is done for the sites linking to yours.

Instead, I tend to focus on those sites that are good references to mine and help them craft the page where I am linked - doing a little SEO for them can boost both our positions.

If you are hosting a lot of resources from your site (PDFs, images, documents, presentations), you might want to consider setting up restrictions for hot-linking. Don't allow other sites to post your resources and use your bandwidth without landing on a page on your site. if you're not familiar with hot-linking, just do a search. There are even WP plugins to assist you.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 12:36
"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." Isaiah 30:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Bookmark and Share!